June 4, 2009

Rotisserie chicken

Now that summer is here, I usually cook whole birds on our rotisserie attachment for our grill instead of heating up the whole house roasting a chicken. If you have a gas grill, you should really look into buying the attachment. They are pretty affordable...anywhere in the range of $50-$100. The flavor and juiciness is stupendous!

Earlier this year I bought a bottle of BBQ 3000 from Penzey's. This was my first time using it. I cannot say enough good things about this seasoning. It really penetrated the flavor of the meat, with very minimal effort. I diddn't even let it sit very long before I "rotisserized" the chicken, maybe 15 minutes. Needless to say, this mix will be on my spice list for a long time to come. I love trying new spices. And, with specialty spice retailers you get such a better bargain for your money, not to mention a better product. I've also heard really good things about The Spice House. Which, I believe, is run by Bill Penzey's sister. Either way, stop by one of those sites and browse around. Or, better yet, if you live in the "big city", chances are you have an actual store close-by. I haven't yet had the pleasure - but I'm looking forward to visiting the Manhatten location when we head up that way.

I'm not going to bother posting a "recipe". I seasoned the chicken (4.5 lbs) with the BBQ 3000 seasoning, as well as kosher salt and black pepper. Cooked over medium-high heat on the grill, for about 1 hour 20 minutes. I will be posting the chicken noodle soup I made with leftovers later on. Homeade soup is one of my favorites!

No comments: